Thursday, February 14, 2013

Just another day

Today is, of course, St. Valentine's Day, marking the 1,743rd anniversary of the death of St. Valentine.  That is what Wikipedia says, so it must be true.  So, what to do today that I haven't done before?

Well, seeing as it is St Valentine's Day, and I have my best gal by my side for the whole day, the choice is simple.

Part 1 of the 100 Snapshots Challenge!

What is this, you ask?  Why are you not out buying flowers and jewellery for your beautiful girlfriend?  To this I say, "Never you mind.  It was this or change my name for the day, ok?  Jeez, some people...".

The challenge is this.  A list of 100 words, interpreted however you wish, taking a photograph to represent each one.

The hair on my "nuque" is standing up with anticipation.  Not really, I just needed to squeeze in the Word-Of-The-Day somewhere.

I'll be doing this in batches of 10 as and when I can or have nothing better to do, and as an added challenge every snapshot must be taken in my own home.  So, without further ado, here are the first 10 snapshots.

01 - Safety

02 - Stale

03 - Feathered

04 - Hot

05 - Open

06 - Forever

07 - Love

08 - Touch

09 - Colorless

10 - Blue

Today

On this day in 1852, Great Ormond St Hospital for Sick Children, the first hospital in the English-speaking world to provide in-patient beds specifically for children, was founded in London. The hospital is probably best known for being mostly funded from the royalties associated with J. M. Barrie's play Peter Pan, or the Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up.  It has grown to be the largest center for research into childhood illness outside the United States and Canada.

1927 was a fateful year that saw the birth of a national behemoth, a true Canadian institution, both loved and hated across this great nation.  Yes, this was the year of the creation of the mighty Toronto Maple Leafs, renamed from the Toronto St. Patricks.  I wonder if Conn Smythe is dizzy from all the grave-spinning he'll have been doing since then.

Also, in 1929, six of Al Capone's rivals were gunned down in the now infamous Saint Valentine's Day massacre in Chicago, Illinois.

Happy birthday to Simon Pegg (), British comedian and actor and creator of Spaced and Shaun Of The Dead, two of the greatest works of film and television in the last fourteen years.  In my opinion.  Which is, of course, right.

Pic Of The Day


No comments:

Post a Comment