Monday, January 28, 2013

My first Persimmon

What the heck is a Persimmon?  It's a fruit that is actually a berry that might be a smart car.  To quote Wikipedia:

"Like the tomato, persimmons are not popularly considered to be berries, but in terms of botanical morphology the fruit is in fact a berry."
That isn't any clearer, is it?  It's full of words like "morphology" and "the" (which I should add to my "word-hoard"), but doesn't really help me decide if I want to eat it.  Digging deeper, it would appear it can be unpalatable if not ripe.  Not helping here, Wikipedia.

Well, it looks ripe enough I guess, so hopefully it is edible.  Slicing it open, it looks pretty good.


Mmm, juicy.





So, how does it taste you ask?  I hope you ask, because I'm going to tell you.  It has the texture of a nectarine but the taste of a sweet pear, according to my taste experts here, and is pretty good.  Looks like we'll be getting more if we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment